NO SHOWS AND CANCELLATIONS: If you cancel 30 days before the tour before 6:00 pm (Lima time), an administrative charge of 60% will be applied. After this time, there is a 100% cancellation or no-show fee.
On this 5-day tour that is one of the most impressive treks in Cusco. This great walk will allow us to see incredible landscapes, imposing snowy peaks, waterfalls, rivers and small towns, it is nature in its purest form.
This hiking route is ideal for those who want to reach Machu Picchu by a different and authentic path, approaching Andean communities and away from noise. All this makes this Salkantay Trek the perfect alternative to the Inca Trail.
What's Included in Salkantay Trek Classic
- Oxygen bottles and first aid kit
- 03 nights accommodation in Camps (Soraypampa, Chaullay, Santa tereza)
- Cargo Mules: On days 1 and 2, cargo mules carry the all camping equipment and your allowance of personal baggage (5 kgs ). On days 3 and 4, your luggage will be carried by car or train to your destination
- Tourist Transportation, Return from ollantaytambo to Cusco in Private for The Group and drop off at the hotel
- Meals: 4 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 4 Dinners (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost)
- Entrance ticket to the citadel of Machupicchu
- Meeting with the guide one day before starting the tour
- Breakfast at the hostel, or a boxed breakfast
- Camping equipment (Tents & Matras)
- Horseman for the route and support with camping equipment
- One night accommodation in a hostel with private bathroom and hot shower
- Train ticket (EXPEDITION | VOYAGER) from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- 1 Duffle Bag: You can put your personal luggage, up to 5 kgs including your sleeping bag, in this bag to be carried by our horses.
- Professional Guide for the excursion (English | Spanish).
- Chef: Our Cook with extensive experience in food (we also have available a Vegetarian option)
- Bus Up or Down to Machu Picchu
- Last lunch after the visit to Machu Picchu
- Entrance to the Hot Springs (Santa Tereza) S / .10.00
- Entrance to the Humantay Lagoon (S.10.00)
- Sleeping bag
- First breakfast in Mollepata
What to expect
Trekking to Soraypampa
Around 4:30 a.m. we will be picked up at our accommodation in Cuzco to head for Mollepata, which is 2900 meters high. There we will have breakfast and at the end we will go to Marcocasa, population from which we will begin our walk until we reach Soraypampa, where we will have our lunch.After lunch we will continue to the beautiful Humantay Lagoon, there we will enjoy incredible views of the lagoon with the snow in the background, creating a landscape that is considered one of the most beautiful of the Andes. We will return to the Soraypampa camp where we will have dinner and rest until the next morning.
Today we will get up early and after breakfast we will begin the ascent to the Salkantay pass, which is located at 4750 meters above sea level, the highest point of the entire route, from where we can observe the beautiful valleys and the imposing snowy peaks. Then we will begin our descent to the town of Huayracmachay where we will have time to eat and regain strength to continue to our camp in Chaullay, where we will have dinner and spend the night.
Descent to the Semi-Tropical Rainforest
After breakfast early we will begin the descent hike, changing from a high Andean landscape to what is known as jungle eyebrow, to a more temperate climate. During the tour we will see very beautiful landscapes, in addition to more tropical flora such as orchids, begonias and different bird species.We will arrive to Sahuayaco where we will stop to eat, rest for a while and then a private bus will take us to Santa Teresa, where we will spend the night. Those who wish may go to the thermal baths of Cocalmayo.
Hiking through the Inca jungle to Aguas Calientes
After breakfast we will start the 3-hour walk that will take us to the Hydroelectric. There we will eat and after a short rest we will continue on foot for another 3 hours following the train line until we reach Aguas Calientes, where we will have dinner. We will go to bed early because the next day one of the most special moments of our tour, the imposing fortress of Machu Picchu, awaits us.
Guided tour in Machu Picchu
Today we will get up very early (5 am) to start the fifth and final day of the trek to Salkantay with a walk of approximately 1 hour and a half to Machu Picchu. We will enjoy a 2-hour guided tour of the citadel, after which we will have free time to explore it on our own and be able to calmly see the historic citadel.At the end of the visit we will return to Aguas Calientes (if you want you can return by bus to avoid the walk, buying the ticket there for 12 usd per way), we will have time to eat and take the train that will take us to Ollantaytambo, where we will be waiting our transport that will take us to Cusco.
What to Bring to Salkantay Trek Classic
Salkantay is passed over 4650 meters above sea level highest point of the tour and the lowest point of the tour 2000 meters above sea level, requires garments for two types of weather, the first day and second day high mountain garments and the third day, fourth day and the last day, clothes for tropical weather and the weather varies according to the time of year, especially during the rainy season. As it is a variable climate, we recommend taking:
- Sleeping bag (-15º)
- Warm clothes (rainy season raincoat)
- Comfortable footwear (if possible waterproof mountain shoes)
- Personal kit
- Thermal clothing
- Waterproof backpack cover.
- Mosquito repellent.
- Flashlight or torch with extra batteries.
- Camera or camcorder
- Hat & Scarf.
- Raincoat / waterproof poncho
- T-shirt and shorts for walks
- Personal snack and water in bottle
- Original Passport
- Extra money (soles or dollars)
- Medium backpack between 20 to 25 liters
- Personal cleaning (Toothpaste, Soap, Shampoo, Etc)
- Sun Glasses.
- Sandals or flip flops