On this 4-day tour that is one of the most impressive treks in Cusco. This great walk will allow us to see incredible landscapes, imposing snowy peaks, waterfalls, rivers and small towns, it is nature in its purest form.
This hiking route is ideal for those who want to reach Machu Picchu by a different and authentic path, approaching Andean communities and away from noise. All this makes this Salkantay Trek the perfect alternative to the Inca Trail.
What's Included in Salkantay Trek
- 1 Duffle Bag: You can put your personal luggage, up to 5 kgs including your sleeping bag, in this bag to be carried by our horses.
- Oxygen bottles and first aid kit
- Breakfast at the hostel, or a boxed breakfast
- Professional Guide for the excursion (English | Spanish).
- Tourist Transportation from Cusco to Mollepata and Challacancha
- One night accommodation in a hostel with private bathroom and hot shower
- The meet with guide for a talk about the tour, one day before starting the trip
- Train ticket (EXPEDITION | VOYAGER) from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Camping equipment (Tents & Matras)
- Meals: 3 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 Dinners (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost)
- 02 nights accommodation in Camps (Soraypampa and Chaullay)
- Entrance ticket to the citadel of Machupicchu
- Cargo Mules: On days 1 and 2, cargo mules carry the all camping equipment and your allowance of personal baggage (5 kgs ). On days 3, your luggage will be carried by car or train to your destination
- Horseman for the route and support with camping equipment
- Tourist Transportation, Return from ollantaytambo to Cusco in Private for The Group and drop off at the hotel
- Chef: Our Cook with extensive experience in food (we also have available a Vegetarian option)
- Bus Up or Down to Machu Picchu
- Last lunch after the visit to Machu Picchu
- Entrance to the Humantay Lagoon (S.10.00)
- Sleeping bag
- First breakfast in Mollepata
What to expect
Visit to Humantay Lagoon
Around 4:30 a.m. we will be picked up at our accommodation in Cuzco to head for Mollepata, which is 2900 meters high. There we will have breakfast and at the end we will go to Challacancha, population from which we will begin our walk until we reach Soraypampa, where we will have our lunch.After lunch we will continue to the beautiful Humantay Lagoon, there we will enjoy incredible views of the lagoon with the snow in the background, creating a landscape that is considered one of the most beautiful of the Andes. We will return to the Soraypampa camp where we will have dinner and rest until the next morning.
Today we will get up early and after breakfast we will begin the ascent to the Salkantay pass, which is located at 4750 meters above sea level, the highest point of the entire route, from where we can observe the beautiful valleys and the imposing snowy peaks. Then we will begin our descent to the town of Huayracmachay where we will have time to eat and regain strength to continue to our camp in Challacancha, where we will have dinner and spend the night.
Down to the Santa Teresa Inca forest
We will get up early and after breakfast we will begin our walk to the small town of La Playa Sahuayaco through the Santa Teresa Valley. During the walk we will be in full contact with nature, we will see rivers, waterfalls, beautiful wild orchids and coffee and banana plantations among others. After lunch, a private bus will take us to Santa Teresa where we will take a transport to Hydroelectric where we will continue on foot for another 3 hours following the train line until reaching Aguas Calientes.
Once in Aguas Calientes you will have free time before dinner to rest or walk through the town. Tonight we will stay in our hostel with private room and bathroom. We will go to bed early because the next day one of the most special moments of our tour, the imposing fortress of Machu Picchu, awaits us.
Guided tour in Machu Picchu
Today we will get up very early (5 am) to start the quarter and final day of the trek to Salkantay with a walk of approximately 1 hour and a half to Machu Picchu. We will enjoy a 2-hour guided tour of the citadel, after which we will have free time to explore it on our own and be able to calmly see the historic citadel.At the end of the visit we will return to Aguas Calientes (if you want you can return by bus to avoid the walk, buying the ticket there for 12 usd per way), we will have time to eat and take the train that will take us to Ollantaytambo, where we will be waiting our transport that will take us to Cusco.
What to Bring to Salkantay Trek
Salkantay is passed over 4650 meters above sea level highest point of the tour and the lowest point of the tour 2000 meters above sea level, requires garments for two types of weather, the first day and second day high mountain garments and the third day, fourth day and the last day, clothes for tropical weather and the weather varies according to the time of year, especially during the rainy season. As it is a variable climate, we recommend taking:
- Comfortable footwear (if possible waterproof mountain shoes)
- Raincoat / waterproof poncho
- Personal hygiene products
- Walking sticks
- Extra money (soles or dollars)
- Original Passport
- T-shirt and shorts for walks
- Waterproof backpack cover.
- Hat or cap.
- Personal cleaning (Toothpaste, Soap, Shampoo, Etc)
- Rain Jacket
- Sleeping bag (-15º)
- Small backpack from 30 to 60 liters
- Hat & Scarf.
- Camera or camcorder
- Personal snack and water in bottle
- Flashlight or torch with extra batteries.
- Sun Glasses.
- Insect repellent