This less-known hike departs from the Sacred Valley of the Incas to enter a route where amazing mountain scenery, glacier lagoons, valley cloud-forest and authentic textile Quechua communities are combined to finally reach the village of Lares, where you can end the trek by relaxing in its famous hot springs. From Lares we drive to Ollantaytambo and board the train to Aguas Calientes to visit Machupicchu on day 4 of the program. A unique hike to get in touch with Andean people and learn about their traditions and life-style. Social help is appreciated.
- Terms & Conditions
The Lares Trek is an excellent alternative to the Inca Trail. Taking you off the beaten track with visits to authentic Andean communities whilst being surrounded by stunning mountains, lakes and valleys this fabulous trek offers a real insight in to the lives of the people of Cusco as it once was.
The route we offer starts in the village of Huran in the Sacred Valley and finishes in the hot springs of Lares with a visit to the village of Cuncani along the way. On Day 3 of the trek you take a bus from Lares to Ollantaytambo and then carry on by train to Machu Picchu.
-Starting Altitude – 2800m / 9186ft.
-Highest Altitude – 4680m / 15,682ft.
-Walking Distance – 34km / 21 miles
-Longest Day – Day 1, approximately 14km / 8.7 miles
-Coldest Night – Day 1 around 0º celsius
-Overall Difficulty – Moderate
DAY 1:CUSCO TO CANCHA CANCHA
DAY 2:CANCHA CANCHA TO QUEUÑAQOCHA LAGOON
Day 3: QUEUÑAQOCHA LAGOON TO LARES AND AGUAS CALIENTES
Day 4: MACHUPICCHU TO CUSCO
-Departure and arrival times are approximated.
-Campsites are subject to change according to our guide’s criteria and the group progress
What is Included?
- Transfer from the airport to your hotel
- Pre trek birefing with your guide
- Firt breakfast
- Private transportation from the hotel to Huaran – Trail head.
- Licensed guide fluent in English, Spanish, and Quechua.
- Expedition train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Caliente
- Expedition train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- 2 way bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Admission ticket to Machu picchu archaeological complex
- Hotel with private room and bathroom, hot shower, wifi, storage and buffet breakfast included
- 2 person Igloo tents (large and comfortable) and INFLATABLE MATTRESS.
- Delicious meals during the 4 days as indicated in the itinerary
- Cook and cooking equipment
- Horseman and mules, to carry all camping and personal equipment (7 kilos of your personal items such as extra clothes, sleeping bag will be carried by our mules)
- Provision of a horse in case of emergency (With helmet)) such as illness, to ensure trek can be completed by all participants
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
- Boiled water to fill in your bottles
- Private guided tour in Machu Picchu
- Chef and cooking equipment and kitchen tent
- Rain poncho
- Transfer back to Cusco only for our group
- Local interact with the local kids and community people.
What is Not Included?
- Breakfast on the first day
- Dinner on the third day
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner on the last day: after the guided tour at Machupicchu, you can enjoy free time to further visit the ruins and choose to have lunch either in Machupicchu or in Aguas Calientes at your own expense. Arrival in Cusco is estimated after nightfall, dinner being at your own expense too
- Visit to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes: a relaxing way to end-up the program while you’re awaiting the return train to Cusco, only 10 minutes from the village center, entrance fee is s/10.00 (Peruvian Soles). Towels can be hired in Aguas Calientes
- Huayna Picchu entrance fee: if you would like to climb this mountain an additional fee of US$ 18.00 per person applies
- Tips: please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING
- A backpack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek
- Rain gear (jacket and pants if available) or rain poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
- Strong footwear, waterproof trekking boots recommended
- Sandals or jogging shoes for a higher comfort while at camp
- Warm clothes, including jacket, fleeces. Thermal clothing is also recommended, especially for sleeping
- Sleeping bag (please inform our Reservations Department if you wish to book this extra service at the moment of your booking)
- Sleeping pad: will be provided by us but is to be carried by you
- Flashlight/headlamp and batteries
- Camera and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain and cold
- Sun block
- After-sun cream or hydrating cream for face and body
- Insect repellent – minimum recommended 20% DEET – no malaria risk has been reported
- Toilet paper
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, muesli, etc. Please note that we do provide a daily morning snack and our meal service is very complete and well supplied. This recommendation applies for all clients being used to a specific snack, as it may happen that it is not included in our selection
- Water container and water for the first morning. Important notice: plastic water bottles are no longer allowed into the Inca Trail.
- Plastic water containers (ie. Nalgene) or metal ones are recommended
- Optionally: water- sterilizing tablets in case you pick up water from streams or rivers along the route. Otherwise, we provide filtered boiled water, which is safe to drink and has not reported any health problem so far
- Small towel
- Swimsuit (if you wish to take a bath in the hot springs)
- Cash in soles and/or US$
- Optional: walking sticks or poles
Group Service Prices
Price per person : This will depend on the amount of people coming to the trek and to the kind of accommodation
- Student Discount: US$20 (Requires ISIC Card to qualify)
- Under 18’s Discount: US$20
- Sleeping Bag US$25
- Walking Pole US$8
- Single Tent Supplement US$30
OUR BOOKING POLICIESNon-Refundable, Non-Transferable Deposits for TREKS and Short Tours
There is a $200 per person deposit needed to your trek/tour with Haku Travel. The deposit can be made through PayPal, which will incur a 5.5% PayPal merchant fee paid by the traveler or by a wire directly to our bank (Bank of America or Citibank) for free if you are a fellow account holder. All deposits are fully non-refundable and non-transferable. In the event that you need to cancel your trip, cancellation fees will be assessed as outlined below under Cancellation Policy. It is not possible to transfer your deposit to another person’s trek if cancelling, they will need to send in their own deposit.
If you are booking a full itinerary, including hotels, with Haku Travel, we will require 50% of the total value as a deposit. If you must CANCEL, refunds other than the non-refundable $200 deposit required for all tours, will be returned if your start date is more than 60 days away. Once you are within 60 days of your tour beginning, money will no longer be refundable.
Final Payment Terms
For all treks and small tours, final payment is due at least three days before your tour begins with Hatu Travel. This is normally paid directly in our office, but can be paid in advance by PayPal with a 5.5% fee or wire to Citibank. In the office we accept both US and Peruvian currency, any denomination but NO torn bills.
Cancellation Policy for Treks and Small Tours
Notification of cancellation must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are within 8 weeks of your tour start date, further payment is needed as follows:
- If you cancel 8 weeks or more days before departure: Cancellation fees equal the amount of your deposit.
- 8 weeks to 4 weeks before departure: 60% of the total tour price is due.
- 4 weeks to 5 days before departure: 80% of the total tour price is due.
- 5 days to 36 hours: 90% of the total tour price is due.
- 36 hours or less before departure: 100% of the total price is due.
Inca Trail Permits
Inca Trail permits are 100% non-refundable, non-transferable. Permits are issued in the name and with the passport number of the trekker and cannot be transferred to anyone else under any circumstances.